Jan 3, 2010

Variations on a theme mystery afghan crochet-along

I’m ready to start off the new year with a pretty afghan project! How about you? I've had many requests to do a mystery afghan crochet-along, so I thought we'd try this. This afghan is called “Variations on a Theme” because as I worked on stitch swatches, I found myself wanting to create many variations of one basic stitch pattern just to see how far it could go. We'll be doing a stitch sampler afghan using many of these patterns.

How this crochet-along will work
I'll post instructions for the first square Tuesday, January 5, 2010 with one new square appearing each day until the project is complete.
We'll be adding photos of progress each day to the Flickr group, Facebook discussion and Ravelry page for this project. You’re also welcome (and encouraged) to post about this project on your favorite online communities and groups, inviting your friends to join you.
Each person who participates will receive an e-pattern of the finished project instructions at the end of the crochet-along.

Join the conversation
If you are on Facebook, friend me and become a fan of Gourmet Crochet.
Follow me on Twitter.
Join the Gourmet Crochet email list at www.gourmetcrochet.com

Variations on a Theme Afghan
SIZE
This project is made with squares, and can be made any size.
MATERIALS
I like patchworky things, so I’m doing mine in lots of colors with scrap yarn, but this would be stunning in just a few colors, or even all in one color. So pick your favorite color or color combination, or dig into your scraps. I used size H hook. You can use any size yarn with appropriate hook size and just make enough blocks to create the size you desire.
Each of my squares required about 50 yards, more or less, depending on the laciness or density of the stitch pattern.
GAUGE
Each of my squares is about 7 1/2 inches across. Gauge is not critical.

GET READY, GET SET…
So ladies and gentlemen, gather yarns and hooks! Off we go on Tuesday!

38 comments:

JoBug said...

Yippie, I was thrilled to see this, I LOVE your blog! And have a FEW of the pattern booklettes!

cigarboxbeads said...

okay---i'm ready! ;>)

thanks for this- it should be fun.

marilyn g

Mary said...

Thanks, Carolyn, this should be fun because you do not do "Crafty" crochet, but quality, so I'm sure the end result will be worth the time invested!

Noeline said...

Thank you Caroline, I am looking forward to joining in .
Sincerely ,
Noeline in Australia.

candisrrt said...

I have several ofyour patterns. This looks like fun. I was just looking for some stash busting ideas!

OshVay said...

I'm really looking forward to working on the mystery afghan. What a great idea Carolyn. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Count me in, this should be fun.
Teresa

Anonymous said...

I have several of your patterns so I know this will be fun!

Bunny Larson said...

Oh I can't wait!

Aunt Debbie said...

Can't wait to start this one! I have never participated in anything like this before and am pretty excited about giving it a go!

Mary Beth said...

Love your work! As another poster said, your patterns are so artistic! Not the usual "tacky" stuff. Can't wait! Thanks for your patterns and inspiration!

Hugbuggal said...

LOVE this idea - can't wait to try my hand at this - thank you for the opportunity and challenge! :D

H said...

This will be great fun. I love your patterns and own a number of your booklets.

Hilly

Mary Hunt said...

I've never done anything like this before. I'm excited to join in the mystery crochet.

Mary H
Iowa

eezelifeinbc said...

This sounds like fun. Count me in...

Ivy said...

I'm in! I have been wanting to do a crochet along and I love that this is a square per day...so easy to fit in to my day.

I'm going to link your blog to mine and post about the crochet along!

mtheads said...

I love the idea (I, too, have several of Carolyn's patterns already), and I'm just hoping I can keep up, since I've got several projects in the works! Thanks for doing this, Carolyn! peace, meg

Unknown said...

I'll do my best to keep up!!

enidgh said...

This is a wonderful idea. Can't wait for tomorrow.
enid

analea said...

Really looking forward to this! I really need to get rid of the scraps I have lying around and this project seems to be perfect to do just that!

pat irish said...

Sounds like a neat project. Thanks for doing this!

Ann said...

What a cool idea! You are so creative, I know the finished afghan is going to be gorgeous!

Unknown said...

It's Tuesday! I'm so excited! I love your patterns! I've been gathering yarn all morning! Thanks Carolyn!

Sherry

Karen said...

What fun. I can hardly wait. I'm going to use my stash. Thank you Carolyn.

Karen J.

Mary Beth said...

Hurry! Hurry! I can hardly wait to see it!

Shanna said...

Can't wait to get started!!

H said...

Waiting with "bated" hook so to speak. lolol :)

H said...

Waiting with "bated" hook so to speak. lolol :)

Linda said...

This should be fun - I love crochet.

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

I am going to join in, thank you! :)

Unknown said...

I love doing mystery patterns this should be a blast

Ghost said...

Please include me in this CAL.

Bethel of Bethania said...

G'day Carolyn
I hope I'm not too late to join in the fun... just found you tonight... I'm off now to see where you are all up to...
OOroo... Bethel

Mary Hunt said...

I have the first 3 squares done, Squares 4 and 5 will be done today. I don't want to fall behind!

Mary H

Sonya said...

Yay! I'm almost caught up! I posted pics of the first 3 squares on the flickr group, square 4 is almost done and I will do 5 & 6 tomorrow to be completely caught up. I hate getting too far behind because then I usually just throw in the towel. I love how these squares are turning out! Very nice and detailed pattern. This is so fun!

mrsng said...

I need to pull out my yarn stash and start. All the blocks look great that everyone's posted! Definitely inspiring me to get in on the fun.

Unknown said...

I just found this, not sure how I missed it as I'm such a fan of your patterns! And this idea is wonderful. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I just found this, not sure how I missed it as I'm such a fan of your patterns! And this idea is wonderful. Thank you!